The Q&A Archives: How to take care the soil for vegetables garden

Question: I live in Houston Texas,I just moved in to brand new house, I would like to have a vegetables garden, the soil is very sticky, someone told me that may need to add some BANK SANDS, is it correct? How much I should add & anythingelse need to be add to it? Thanks for your help!

Answer: Frances,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Adding sand alone to clay doesn't help a lot but rather just creates a sandy clay as the clay particles enclose the larger sand particles. The best thing you can do for a sticky clay soil is to add a lot of compost. I suggest spreading a couple of inches and then working it into the soil with a rototiller or spade. Repeat the addition of another inch or so each time you change from one crop to another for a year or two until you see that your soil is a looser, more crumbly texture, even when on the dry side. After that periodic additions of a small amount of compost will help keep it in good condition.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!