The Q&A Archives: shrub

Question: I'm desperately looking for a dark green shrub that resembles a japanese yew as far as the leaves but has dark red blooms that resemble a bottle brush for a baby bottle.

Answer: Linda,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

You may be thinking about a bottle brush plant one of many species in the genus Callistemon. The following web site show some of the many Callistemon species. See if this is the plant you have in mind. I suspect Callistemon citrinus may be the one. Then let us know if you have follow up questions by submitting another question to the web site.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!