The Q&A Archives: Pansies in the winter

Question: I am a new gardener so I have many questions about pansies. If I plant them right now, will I have to replace them next spring time or will they bloom again? If I plant them right now when should I expect them to bloom?

Answer: Pansies grow best in cooler weather. They are sometimes planted in the early spring to bloom during the same spring. Usually, they are pulled out in early summer and replaced with something more heat tolerant for the summer. Some gardeners plant pansies in the fall as fall bedding plants for blooms the same fall. The fall planted pansies may overwinter and begin blooming very early the next spring. But again, they are usually pulled out in early summer because they do not thrive in hot summer weather. Pansies are usually considered to be cool season annuals and are not expected to bloom for very long or to survive from year to year. I hope this helps.