The Q&A Archives: Hedge for full sun

Question: I need a fast growing full sun hedge, preferably evergreen. However, it is near apple treees so cedar and juniper are out. Any suggestions?

Answer: I agree, to avoid the problem of apple-cedar rust, you'll want to stay away from junipers and cedar. Here are a few suggestions:
Euonymus japonicus ''Chollipo'' This plant has variegated dark green and cream foliage. It needs full sun, is fast growing, and great for hedges. It reaches 12 feet in height with a 6' spread.

Myrica pennsylvanica has dense, fragrant foliage. It's great for screens and hedges. A moderate grower to 9' tall and wide, plant it in full sun.

Taxus x media ''Hicksii'' is evergreen with glossy, green foliage. It has a narrow, columnar habit and is great for tall hedges. Reaches 10-12' in height with a 3-4' spread.

Ilex glabra ''Densa'' Dark green foliage. Dark berries appear in the fall. Oval-rounded shaped shrub. Great for foundations, hedges, accent plantings. Prefers moist soils. Tolerates shade, but prefers sun. Evergreen. Grows 8-10' tall and wide.

Hope these suggestions are helpful!