The Q&A Archives: Which trees and shrubs?

Question: Please advise on the best shade trees to block the sun with a house with a west exposure? I have thought of the following;
1, not certain which palms will help

2, calephia trees,tabriboa, pigion plum

how HARDY AND FAST growing are the trees you recommend?please advise on the recommended tree's care?
i saw a great shrub in the boca raton store ,tropical hydrandga

Answer: Michael,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Palms are generally not wide enough to be a good shade tree for a window or western wall. For lot of great suggestions for shade trees for your south Florida landscape check out the following web pages:

I could not find any plants named "DOMBEGA SEMENOLES" in our database of plants. However hydrangeas are generally not easy to grow in south Florida.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!