The Q&A Archives: 1 yr. old sod never fertilized

Question: What Should I do to build my lawn and make it turn green and get thick?

Answer: If your lawn is St. Augustine, it will green up as the weather warms. Fertilize your turf with 21-0-0, an acidifying fertilizer at a rate of 5 pounds per 1,000 square feet in mid-April and June. Then in mid-October, use a product similar to 15-5-10 at a rate of 7 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Return your clippings to the turf by mowing with a mulching mower. Water only every 5-7 days applying 1/2 to 1 inch of water when you do. A coffee can or rain gauge can be used to determine how long it takes to apply this amount. Chelated iron products can be used as a quick fix to yellowing due to iron deficiency. Applying a pound of wettable sulfur per 100 square feet through a hose end sprayer is another good idea to help in the longer term. This should be done in early spring and again in late fall when temperatures are cooler.