The Q&A Archives: Gardenia

Question: I have some gardenia's that I planted about a year ago, they were doing great and when I went out of town for about two months a frost hit and they look terrible. They don't seem dead but more sickly, a little brown and shrivled. What can I do to revive them? Thank you.

Marlene

Answer: Frost hit alot of non-native plants hard this winter. If your gardenias are still alive, they should start sprouting new growth about now, as other frost-damaged plants are doing. Wait to trim back damaged foliage until you see the new growth, then cut back to it. Otherwise, it's easy to cut back more plant material than is necessary.Phoenix just had a good rain, so you probably don't have to water for awhile, but otherwise, water slowly and deeply so water soaks through the entire root zone to a depth of 2 feet. Don't fertilize until you actually see new growth. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "French Marigold"