The Q&A Archives: Propogating a Weeping Cherry Tree

Question: I have a weeping cherry tree, and I would like to know if it is possible to propogate cuttings from an existing tree, and if possible, when and how. Also, how quickly do weeping cherry trees grow?

Answer: If yours is a Japanese Weeping Cherry (Prunus subhirtella), then they are very fast growers, as trees go. You can root cuttings of firm, young wood during the active growth phase in late spring/early summer. <br><br>Take a 4-5" cuttings from the new growth. Remove the bottom leaves (keep the leaves on the upper one or two nodes) and dip the base of the cutting in a rooting hormone, such as Dip 'n Grow. Place the prepared cutting in a moistened soilless mix in a sunny indoor location. Cover the pot with a clear plastic bag so the soil mixture doesn't dry out, but leave then end open for air circulation. In a few weeks, roots will form, and you can move the cutting to a larger container.