The Q&A Archives: Outdoor Planter

Question: My deck builder built an outdoor planter - very nice of cedar wood. My question is how do I use it? there is no bottom so I can only put potted plants in it - can I buy annuals already potted and just set them inside my planter? Will they still bloom each year? - will they spread?

Answer: If the planter is sitting on the ground, you can plant directly in it; if it is suspended from a balcony railing, you can just set pots into it and enjoy season color. Annuals bloom for one season only. If you want your plants to come back year after year, purchase perennials. Most perennials can stay in the same pot for 2-3 years (depending upon the pot size and the growth rate of the plant). Hope this answers your question!