The Q&A Archives: Camelia

Question: My camelia gets buds every year but they fall off before they open. What am I doing wrong. It is in full sun and out in the open.

Answer: Camellias quite often set more flowers than the shrub can support. As a result, the buds, or the newly opened flowers are dropped. As long as your camellia looks otherwise healthy, there's not much you can do but wait until the plant becomes more mature (and has a larger root system - large enough to support both the shrub and the flowers). If the petals of the flowers are browning just as they fall off, you may be dealing with a fungal infection. It's weather related (cold, wet conditions) and it's worse some years than other. If this is the case, rake to remove the fallen flowers which will remove the fungal spores and help prevent further infection. Best wishes with your camellia!