The Q&A Archives: Sandy soil

Question: The soil around my home is very sandy and sunny are there any plants that will survive other than succulants (not my favorite).

Answer: There are a number of plants which will tolerate sandy soils. Among them are Achillea, Alyssum, Aquilegia, Armeria, Artemisia, Brunnera, Caryopteris, Coryeoposis, Dianthus, Echinops, Euphorbia, Festuca, Gaillardia, Gypsophila, Hollyhock, Lavendula, Malva, Miscanthus, Nepeta, Potentilla, Rudbeckia, Salvia, Spiraea, Thymus, and Weigela. All grow best in full sunshine.

You can improve the planting bed by incorporating some organic matter (compost, peat moss, etc.) prior to planting. Organic matter will help the soil hold water and will provide some nutrients to the plant roots as it breaks down over time.

Best wishes with your new garden!