The Q&A Archives: Oleanders

Question: Last year we were quite excited when we purchased two flowering Oleanders from Home Depot. They now look completely dead, i.e., there is nothing green on them and the stalks and leaves are all dried up. We are terribly disappointed! Is there anything we can do to bring them back to life?

Answer: Oleanders (Nerium) are not at all cold tolerant and are damaged by frosts, so they are considered reliably winter hardy only in frost free areas. A few specialyl hardy varieties may be hardy into zone 8 -- but in general think Florida or southern California. They would not be expected to survive your winter weather outdoors. Unfortunately, I suspect they are dead. (Your zip code places you in winter hardiness zone 6.) I'm sorry!