The Q&A Archives: rose trimming

Question: I just removed the rose cones and I'm seeing alot of black wood. What is the best way to trim my roses. This was the first time I have used the cones and we had unusal winter here along Lake Michigan. It was cold then warm then very cold for the past month and a half. Help! Please tell me I haven't lost all my rose bushes.

Answer: If the canes are black, it indicates they're diseased. I'd cut them back to healthy wood. Cones are helpful protection but should be removed when the weather warms and then replaced at night. Leaving the cones over the plants during warm weather can cause mold and fungus to grow - as you have discovered. I think you can save your plants if you prune out all the infected canes. Best wishes with your roses!