The Q&A Archives: Fast growing shrubs

Question: First, let me say thank you for any help you can give me. We recently bought 15 acres of land & the perimeter is almost completely surrounded by woods except for the front. Our goal is to fill that area with fast growing evergreen shrubs that reach a good height (at least 10'). Any suggestions?

The plants have to be hardy to zone 7 and they will be in full sun. We would like them to be a variety of evergreens to give us privacy from the road, and to blend in with the natural wooded surroundings. Thanks again for your time. -Michelle

Answer: Thuja Green Giant is a good choice, as are Leyland Cypress, Cryptomeria and Norway Spruce. Each has a different growth habit and slightly different needle color which will add to the interest of the planting at the front of your property. You might also duplicate some of the trees that you already have in the wooded areas of your property to bring the entire property together into one seamless woodland.

Best wishes with your landscape!