The Q&A Archives: My Blueberry Bushes are Twigs

Question: I planted several varieties of blueberry bushes about 3 years ago. They were 2-3 year old bareroot plants when I purchased them. They have not become bushes at all. The best one has a 3 foot tall branch with a couple of smaller branches coming our if it. They have produced a handfull of berries each year. Last spring I gave them a dose of iron made for blueberries and tried to diligently water them and mulch them. There was no change. They are in a sunny location by a brick wall protected from the wind.What have I done wrong? I had hoped for productive plants by now. Is there anything I can do to save them? I planted 4 new plants last spring and was careful to add iron to the soil as I planted them. What can I do to assure these plants do not have the same fate?

Answer: lched, well-drained soil and nearly constant supply of moisture. A drip irrigation or porous pipe system is ideal. Otherwise they should be hand watered 2-3 times per week. Try transplanting your newer bushes following these tips. I hope this helps!