The Q&A Archives: Planting Trees

Question: I have a green ash and a sweet gum tree that i bought from home depot 2 weeks ago, then we had a snow storm and they been in the garage I've kept them watered, but now were actually in spring when is a good time to put them in the ground?

Answer: If they are dormant (no leaves yet) you can plant them now. If they have leaves, you will have to wait until after the last frost to plant them because frost will damage the leaves. But in the meantime, the leaves need light. They should be moved outside in the sun when the temperature is above freezing. You may have to set them outside in the day and bring them in at night. You can check your last average frost date at the following government web site. You may need to cut and paste the complete url to make it work correctly.

Good luck with your trees!