The Q&A Archives: Ants on Azakea's

Question: We just planted these 3 Azalea bushes, it has only been about 3 weeks now and I looked today and the blooms are dying. I inspected them futher to find ants and maybe a small black bug, but mostly ants. The leaves or eaten on and the blooms are wilted and look rotted. What can we do to save them if anything.

New to this , but not giving up
Krista & Chris

Answer: Krista,

Ants are not plant pests but may be attracted to honeydew produced by some other insect. Bloom rot is usually not insect related but rather diseases which are encouraged by rainy periods. There are sprays for pests and diseases but such are usually not needed on azaleas so I would not tend to reach for a spray, but rather just pick out any damaged blooms and let them grow on because they will likely improve especially as the weather warms up a bit more.