The Q&A Archives: what to plant in stage 3 drought restrictions

Question: i recently bought lovely house in a suburb of dallas texas however we are under level 3 drought restrictions so i can only water 1x a week. I would love to plant a little color in my front yard but understand restrictions...any suggestions other than cactus? thanks

Answer: Paula,

Any plant being established will need to be watered often for the first few weeks and moderately thereafter for the first summer to help it get roots established and survive this stressful transition period. I would plant sparingly now and plan on adding more later when the restrictions are lifted...even this coming fall. Build a raised berm of soil around plants about 3 ft. in diameter so you can fill it with water to provide a good soaking for the roots. Plants to consider for now include lantana, Salvia greggii, bulbine, and blackfoot daisy.