The Q&A Archives: Raised Gardening

Question: Dear Home Depot Expert, I have very little area to work with but I want suggestions on a raised garden, with ever bearing flowers around a flagpole in my front yard. I would like something around 8 to 10 inches high. Besides hiring a stone mason, is there anything at Home Depot I could buy to complete this job ?

Answer: There are many different ways to make a raised bed. You could make one yourself using precast concrete blocks or decorative interlocking pavers, or you could use landscape timbers or one of the many pre-made edgings that come in sections. There are also raised bed kits available, these typically supply hardware and instructions and then you would purchase lumber. A raised bed does not need to be terribly deep, just a few inches will do if it is set on top of bare ground (meaning not on top of a paved area.) Please check with your local store to see what materials they have in stock on hand that you could use. Enjoy your project!