The Q&A Archives: lawn help

Question: i have a small but yet rocky yard. it seems any where i dig i'll get rock mix in with some soil or ground. i want to plant grass seeds in my yard, so i can actually walk bare foot and not have to watch where i step. i would like to know what i need and what i have to do so i can have a nice green lush yard, with out the rocks. there are to many just to take and get rid of.

Answer: Grass will grow better in well prepared soil. This would mean removing most of the stones or rocks and tilling in a generous amount of organic matter such as compost. You would also run some basic soil tests to check fertility and pH to see if you need to add fertilizer or lime, as well. Once the soil is prepared, leveled, and raked smooth, you are ready to plant your grass seed. Unfortunately, there isn't really a short cut way of starting a lawn. I wish I could be more encouraging, but if you do not remove the rocks they will jam your tiller.