The Q&A Archives: Kill weeds by pools

Question: I have an area by my pool which I am interested in getting ready to plant some flowers/shrubs for the first time. I am very new to gardening. The trouble that I have is that I do not know what I should do now to pervent the weeds that generally start growing at the beginning of the spring/summer season. I want to clean this area before to plant my flowers starting next month. Is there any particular weed killer or formula that I can use to get this taken care of? Please provide your suggestions. Thank you.

Answer: I'm sorry but without knowing exactly what kinds of weeds, I can't recommend an herbicide. Not all herbicides are certified for all weeds. And, some herbicides may inhibit the desireable plants you plan on growing. I suggest you contact your local Michigan State County Cooperative Extension service to see if they recommend a pre-emergent for typical weeds in your area. Another possibility is before planting next month, water the area regularly and pull any weeds that germinate. If the weed problem isn't too severe, this might be sufficient. Good luck!