The Q&A Archives: winter care and book

Question: Hello,I am a newcomer for Garden club. I always had this onee question about care but did not find absolute answer after reading materials so I thought I would ask. I usually plant Dutch lavender (never seen bloom yet), bayleaf tree, and Herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsely. When winter comes, should I dig all up and put into container and care inside the house or I can leave them outside?? I usually dig up but if I did not have to, I think I leave it outside .

And also, leafy plant like coleus??

Answer: All of the plants you list are frost-tender and they should all be taken indoors over the winter months. Instead of planting them in the ground and then digging them up every year, why not keep them in containers and set the containers out in the garden? You can even bury the containers in the ground if you'd rather not have a collection of containers sitting around your garden. Then it will be easy to move the plants indoors when the weather starts to get cold. Coleus is generally an annual and probably won't perform well indoors, but you can certainly try!

There are lots and lots of books available on growing herbs and on successfully growing houseplants. There are so many, in fact, that it might be best to thumb through them at your local library or bookstore and choose the ones that most appeal to you.

Best wishes with your herbs!