The Q&A Archives: good grass for my area durable for kids and pets

Question: I was wondering what type of grass seed I should use on my back lawn. I have two dogs( a beagle & american bulldog) and three carpet warriors. My current back yard is in disarray, brown spots from the dog urine and digging and just wore down from my kids.What would be a good type of grass to seed thats durable and will take the punishment. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Answer: Leslee,

If you want a grass that can be planted from seed and that tolerates foot traffic and can recover from the wear and tear then bermudagrass is probably your best bet. It will need regular mowing and fertilizing to look its best under such stress as a dog and people feet can put on it. Choose a semi dwarf variety such as Sahara. Keep the dogs and kids off of it until it has a chance to get going well and mature past the weak seedling stage.