The Q&A Archives: Growing herbs all year

Question: Hello!

Thanks so much for your answers last week.

Now questions about growing herbs. I would very much like to grow some herbs outside, and then bring them in the house over the winter.

Which ones will grow OK in a sunny window all winter so I can put them outside again in the spring?

Also, which ones are perennials so that I could leave some outside all winter? Thanks, Dorian

Answer: Annual herbs grow, flower, set seed and die within one growing season. These are best grown outdoors and include coriander, chervil, chives, oregano, basil and dill. Perennial herbs grow for more than one season can be taken indoors when the weather gets cold. These are the best candidates for growing inside: sweet marjoram, parsley, mint, sage, thyme and chives. For the most part, the perennial herbs won't be perennial in your harse winter climate. You can either take the perennials indoors for the winter months, or simply treat them as annuals, expecting to replace them every spring.

Enjoy your herbs!