The Q&A Archives: easy houseplants

Question: My house is a little on the dark side, I mean some sunlight comes in, but not a whole lot. I love houseplants, but the only ones I can get to grow are philadandroms and a snake plant (mother-in-law's tongue). What other houseplants are there that are easy to grow and don't require a whole lot of light?

Answer: Only a few houseplants will tolerate low light levels, but here are your choices:
Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen), Chamaedorea elegans (Neanthe Bella Palm, Parlor Palm), Nephrolepsis exaltata (Boston Fern), Philodendron scandens var. oxycardium
(Heart Leaf Philodrendron), Sansevieria trifasciata (Mother-In-Law's Tongue, Snake Plant), Spathiphyllum sp. (White Flag). You can expand your choices if you install some supplemental lighting such as a gro-light or a bank of fluorescent lights.

Best wishes with your new plants!