The Q&A Archives: first vegetable garden

Question: My wife and I are planting our first ever vegetable garden this year, the question that I have is where to plant the different crops. We are going to have corn, tomatoes, cucumbers,watermelon, strawberries, and hot peppers. should i put the corn in the first rows and work down from there??? Thanks for your help

Answer: Vegetable gardens do best in full sunshine so find the sunniest site available and then plant the corn in the back or on the east side so they won't shade the rest of the plants. Next to the corn you can either assemble a trellis of some sort or you can train the cucumber vines up the corn stalks. This will save ground space plus it will keep the fruits up off the ground. In front of the cukes, plant your tomatoes, then your watermelon and, finally, your strawberries.

Next year you'll want to rotate your veggies so they are not planted in exactly the same garden spots. This will keep your plants disease free and will confuse the insect pests.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest!