The Q&A Archives: black fungus on my blue princess holly bushes

Question: black fungus on my blue princess holly bushes

Answer: At this time of year I would expect what you might be seeing is winter damage to the foliage. The leaves will eventually drop and new foliage will grow to replace it as long as the wood is still alive. Live wood will be flexible and green just inside the bark. Dead wood will be off color, dull gray or brown and is brittle, it will snap in your hand. You can trim off dead wood now. Begin at the tips of the branches and trim until you reach live wood. Then be very patient for the new foliage to emerge, it might take until June. If you do not think this is the problem, I would suggest you consult with your local county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis of the problem. Based on knowing that, they can recommend what to do.