The Q&A Archives: Lambert Cherry

Question: Purchased a Lambert Sweet Cherry tree and was wondering what sour cherry tree would be a good pollinator and vice-versa. Maybe a montmorassey? I dont care to much about cherries this year, but at least I'll find out if other cherry trees are in the area if I get fruit.
When do I fertilize and with what, and when do I spray for pests? Would spray oils be good for this/

Answer: Sour cherries can't be counted on to pollinate sweet cherries, and even some sweet cherries are incompatible. The website below from Cornell University has a chart of compatible varieties. Cherries are susceptible to a number of different disease and insect pests, depending on region, so it is best to contact your cooperative extension office for information on managing pests in your area. They can also provide schedules for fertilization and other maintenance issues specific to local conditions.