The Q&A Archives: mini roses

Question: I believe I killed my mini rose bush. It is in a container. I kept it watered and trimmed the old faded, dying roses. I just have no luck with mini rose bushes. With them dying, will they come back and when? Please help.

Answer: I don't know whether or not your rose will come back, but it's worth a try. Keep it well watered and wait (and hope) for another 4-6 weeks. If it doesn't recover, you may have to toss it and try again. Growing mini roses is pretty similar to growing regular roses.

They require a full 6-8 hours of hot sunshine a day. Yes, they?ll survive with a little less but like their larger cousins, they?ll reduce their flowering for every little bit of light less than what they require.

They require feeding. I generally recommend feeding with a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer every 2-3 weeks, beginning in spring and continuing through fall.

They?ll require adequate water. A common garden recipe in growing mini roses is to recommend 1 to 1.5 inches of water every week. Put this on in two three-quarter inch applications spaced equally over the week.

Hope these hints help you successfully grow mini-roses!