The Q&A Archives: African Violets

Question: Several of my violet flowers have been wilting and turning brown. I don't think I've over-watered them. What could this be a sign of? How often should I water? I've been watering 1-2 times a week.

Answer: It sounds as though it could be a fungal disease called Botrytis Blight. This disease causes small water-soaked lesions on damaged petioles and infected flowers fade prematurely. To control, space plants to provide better ventilation and avoid excessively high humidity. Remove fading flowers and yellowing leaves to prevent the spread. Apply chlorothalonil, fenhexamid, copper sulfate, or mancozeb to protect healthy tissue and be sure to keep water off the foliage and flowers. I water mine from the bottom (set the pot in a tray of water until moisture is drawn up through the potting soil) to avoid splashing water and fungal spores over the plants.

Best wishe with your African Violets!