The Q&A Archives: lawns

Question: Last summer I sprayed round-up weed killer and well I'm sure you know that it killed my grass also. Anyway my lawn now looks like it has a leopard disease. What do you recommend for grass seed?

Answer: Round-Up is a vegetation killer, not a just a weed killer, and you're not the first gardener to discover the devastating effects of Round-Up on a lawn. For starters, rake the dead grass and roots out of the soil, the level the area and broadcast seed over the bare spots. Cover the seed with a thin layer of peat moss to help keep the seeds moist and they should germinate in 7-10 days. In your area you can overseed with Kentucky Blue, Perennial rye, or Fescue. Your local Home Depot will have custom mixes of seeds for best growth in your region.

Best wishes with your lawn!