The Q&A Archives: Trimming a cherry tree

Question: Is it too late to trim back my cherry tree. The tree is old, there is a lot of dead branches on the tree. It's still nice and I don't want to kill it. If you have any tips on how to make the cherries bigger that would be great. I believe they get eaten by bugs while small, there has also been a lot of beetles the last couple of years that eat the leaves. Hope you can help me rehab. Thank you

Answer: You can trim off dead branches any time, so go ahead and do that. I would suggest you work with your local county extension to develop a care and maintenance plan for the tree and see if you can restore it. Keep in mind that the useful life of most cherry trees is not terribly long -- maybe 15 years or so. In the meantime, you may find their general publication on cherries helpful.

I hope this helps.