The Q&A Archives: how to pick the right string trimmer

Question: How do I choose the right string trimmer for my yard work? I do not have an overly large area to complete. The difference between curved and straight?

Answer: With a small area you will probably not need a heavy duty model that cuts brush and tough, tall weeds. First decide if you want a gas or electric model. Then look at the weight of the unit and size of the grip for comfort in use. Try out display models to see which is the best fit for you. Straight trimmers tend to reach further than curved models. You could also ask to try out friends or neighbors to hold while they are running and also see which ones are easier for you to start. Take a look at ease of changing strings, too. It is pretty subjective -- they all trim grass edges.