The Q&A Archives: Obtaining Blooms at the earliest point in a season

Question: I started my garden just 2 years ago and I notice my neighbors and friends gardens that have the same Perennials (sometimes a division of one of my Perennials) will bloom earlier than the Perennials in my garden. Is there something that I could do to promote Perennial blooming earlier in my garden? Thank you for your time.

Answer: Unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do. I think you are seeing the effects of microclimate causing your plants to bloom a little bit later than the others. For example, this could be they are planted in a location that is maybe a little bit shadier. Or it might be in a frost pocket, a low lying spot where frost collects, so there is frost later and the soil stays cooler longer in the spring. Or, maybe you are in a more exposed and windy area and they are in a sheltered area in town with lots of buildings nearby to hold the heat and block the wind. These types of locations can make a big difference to plants.