The Q&A Archives: Herb sage growing with Russian Sage?

Question: Last Spring I planted 2 Russian Sage plants. They both grew very well. While checking out the flowers coming up I noticed a weedy vine growing along with one and showed it to my mom. She has figured out that it's regular sage. Is this normal?? Like I said, it's a vine and has green and reddish colored leaves. Not at all stalky like a Russian Sage plant. I am just curious about this. I haven't seen anything like it before! Thanks so much!

Answer: Russian sage is not really in the sage genus (salvia). It is in the genus Perovskia. There are herbal sages (salvias) with multi-colored leaves, but sage does not typically grow as a vine. Sometimes another seed can get in a nursery pot, and a different plant will come up. Or, seeds can be deposited by wind or birds in the landscape or in containers. It's hard for me to ID a plant without seeing it, so I'd suggest you verify that it is a desireable plant and not a weed at a local nursery or your County Cooperative Extension office. Some tenacious viney weeds can get out of hand!