The Q&A Archives: spiders

Question: I have these really scary looking spiders in my yard they are black furry and they have either a two little light blue dots or speckeled with white they are about the size of a pinky fingernail.I have checked the internet to see if they are poisenous,I can pull up an image but no details.If they are non threating(great)but if they are poisenous I need to know.Can you let me know,as of last night I found one in my house by way of my cat(GOOD GIRL). Thank-You sincerely, Lorijon Brown

Answer: It sounds to me that you saw a Dolomedes spider. These spiders are reasonably common, don't spin a web to catch food but instead run after their prey. These spiders, like all spiders, do have some venom but are not dangerous. Only two species of spiders in North America are considered dangerous (Black Widow and Brown Recluse) and these both make webs and do not crawl about on the ground.