The Q&A Archives: what time of year do i plant my rose bushes

Question: what time of year do i plant my rose bushes do you have some and what else will i need?

Answer: Dormant roses (bare canes, no growth yet) can be planted in mid spring and will wake up naturally with the season. Roses that have already started to leaf out or are fully covered in foliage should be planted after the last frost. For planting, you will need to dig a generous sized hole, adding some organic matter such as compost or milled spagnum peat moss to the soil. After planting you will need to mulch with an organic mulch such as shredded hardwood bark or pine bark. You should also run some basic soil tests to see if you need to fertilize and if you need to lime to adjust the pH. Please check with your local store to find out what they have in stock.