The Q&A Archives: Freeze protection

Question: My father has tomato (some already sprouting tomatoes) and orange plants. There should be temps in day around mid-upper 50s and in eve. around mid-upper 30s, this wknd.

In order to protect them against colder temps, what should he do? What materials would he need?

Thank you for your time.

p.s. He also has some Jalape?o, Bell, and Banana peppers. could you tell me how he is to protect them as well.

Again thank you for your time and have a great day :)

Answer: Olga,

If it goes to about freezing or even 35 degrees either take them inside for the night or if they are in the ground cover them with a sheet or old blanket. Put something around them to hold the sheets up off of the plants to prevent them from crushing the plant. Clear plastic is also okay but not quite as good at holding heat as a sheet or blanket. Remove the coverings in the morning when temps are above 35 again. Peppers are protected the same way.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"