The Q&A Archives: bees

Question: How do I get rid of bees that make nests in the ground? My garden is full of burrowing bees, making it difficult to tend to.

Answer: In most situations it will not be necessary to eliminate ground-nesting bees. If the insects can be ignored and their tunnels tolerated, do so. However, if the slight threat of being stung justifies control (as on playgrounds or in oft-tended flower beds) a simple control procedure is available. The recommended treatment for ground-nesting bees (and wasps) is to wait until evening and dust the tunnel and surrounding area with Sevin dust. Other lawn or garden insecticide sprays can also be used, but dusts have the advantage of not soaking into the soil. Repeat treatments may be needed. If you wish, the tunnels can be covered with a shovelful of dirt.