The Q&A Archives: effects of hard freeze

Question: Last spring we did some landscaping, some azaleas, and a Japanese maple are the things I am the most concerned about. We have had a hard freeze the last two nights and expect the same for the n ext two nights. I have covered them but it has been very windy and the wind has blown the coverings off a few times. The azaleas and Japanese Maple are looking very bad. Will these recover. I should mention that they were leafed out and looked very good before this weather. Thank you for your help

Answer: Spring weather can be so hard on plants! Luckily, in most cases they do recover from this kind of damage. Be very patient and allow them time to build the strength to refoliate. Leave the damaged parts on the plants for now as they provide a bit of protection for the growth that remains. Once the freezing weather is truly over, you may find that in addition to foliage damage, some of the most tender growing tips are also damaged. If the damage is more severe, you may find dead branch tips that eventually turn brittle, off color gray or brown. The dead wood will have no green inside the bark. These can be trimmed off as well. But, be very patient in waiting for the new growth to come through. Unfortunately, all you can really do is wait and see.