The Q&A Archives: TURK'S CAP

Question: Was thinking of using these for a backdrop for my front garden - they are beautiful. Says though that they are decidious..... Are they in Zone 9 and how long will they bloom. You do have them available but not sure if this would be the best for a blooming backdrop for a 21' long, 3' wall. If you have any other suggestions that are blooming shrubs that aren't reseeders or wouldn't take over my garden, I'd love to know about them. It's FULL SUN with reclaimed water. Thank You So Much!! Teri

Answer: Teri,

In a protected spot in zone 9 you may see some keeping leaves through winter but whenever the area around the plant freezes leaves will be lost. They are available in many areas. I suggest you contact your local Home Depot garden center managers to see if and when they might be getting some in. Turk's cap does reseed and can spread from underground structures too. Some other shrubs to consider include esperanza or yellow bells (Tecoma stans), firebush (Hamelia patens), the rose varieties 'Knock Out' and 'Belinda's Dream', and althea.