The Q&A Archives: blue salvia

Question: I bought a blue colored salvia last year. It did wonderful in my garden. I thought it was a annual but when I was cleaning up, removing old dryed stems that I thought were dead, I dug down to pull it up and there were a whole bunch of big bulbs growing from he roots, they looked like small yams. I left it in he ground. Will that come up again?? I didn't know salvia's sprouted big bulbs. Should I leave it in the ground?

Answer: Your blue salvia is considered half-hardy, so if the roots were protected from a hard winter freeze, they are likely to naturalize in the garden. The tubers are similar to dahlia tubers and can be treated as such; dig and store in the fall, then replant in the spring. Or, if the bed is well draining and protected from a deep freeze, you can leave the tuberous roots right in the ground. I'd leave the tubers in the ground - you'll be rewarded with healthy new plants in a few weeks.