The Q&A Archives: How to build a small retaining wall

Question: I need to build a small retaining wall parallel to the back wall of my house. The yard in the back is sloped down towards the house and is only 1

Answer: This is a very complex question. Please work with a professionally trained, degreed landscape architect or engineer who can help you design the retaining wall and swale (and possibly a drain) so they work together to keep the water away from your foundation. This type of project needs to be done right or it will not be effective in the long run. To design it, they will need to do an on-site consultation so they can calculate the overall area draining to that spot, the typical twenty or fifty year flood data and the amount of water that will have to be able to move away from the foundation ... and how best to do that while protecting your foundation and home from long term moisture damage and possible flooding. Good luck with your project!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on summer"