The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing the lawn

Question: When and how often throughout the season should I fertilize my lawn in Eastern Washington? I hear people talking about liming their yard, what does this do?

Answer: Lime applications are used to "sweeten" the soil; areas of high rainfall such as in western washington generally have acidic soil. Lime is applied in the fall to help mellow the soil and discourage moss growth. In your part of the state, lime is generally not needed. As for fertilizing the lawn, if you put your grass on a regular feeding schedule by applying one pound of Nitrogen per 1000 square feet, divided into four applications (April, June, September and late November), you'll have a lush, thick lawn. Whatever brand of fertilizer you use, look for a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK and your lawn should be happy.