The Q&A Archives: Preserving Cut Flowers

Question: When cutting flowers from a plant, how is it best to preserve. I put an aspirin in my cut flowers and the next days some had died.

Answer: The vase life of some flowers is quite long, for others it's very short. There are a few things you can do to help them last as long as possible: Harvest the flowers as they just begin to open. Cut them in the early morning and immediately put them in a bucket of water. When you've finished harvesting all the flowers, take them indoors and plunge them into a sinkful of cold water. Then pick them up one by one and cut an inch or so off the stem and set them in a decorative vase filled with fresh water and about a half cup of Sprite or 7-Up (regular, not diet). The sugars and the citric acid will help feed the flowers and keep them from wilting. Change the water and Sprite mixture every 3 days, cutting an inch off the stems before setting them back into the fresh mixture. This should keep your cut flowers fresher longer.