The Q&A Archives: How to plant my avocado

Question: I have grown an avocado tree from the seed in my house. It is about 18 inches tall now and has beautiful leaves. However, we want to get avocados from it and do not know how. The instructions I printed off the internet say for me to plant it outside in a protected area. But, I spoke with someone that lives here and she told me that the tree will die here because of our climate. I live in Sierra Vista, AZ. It got pretty cold here this past winter, close to 10 degrees at night. In the summer, it gets up to 100 often and we have very little rain. Also, the soil is really poor here. So, my question is, what do I do? Should I buy a really big pot and put it in there outside under an awning of some sort? Or, should I go ahead and try to plant it outside? Thank you for your help!

Answer: Congratulations on your successful propagation! However, the advice you were given is correct. Avocado is not adapted to conditions in Sierra Vista, either the cold or the intense heat. I'd pot it up and move the pot around or bring it indoors as needed, but don't start with too large of a pot. Gradually pot up into larger sized containers over time, as you would with any type of plant. Good luck!