The Q&A Archives: slopes

Question: I have a newly aquired 4 foot slope in my yard. it is a result of a new sepric installation. Most of the area is rock and shale. Any advise for a solution that doesnt require a large expenditure?

Answer: On the slope, you might try some carpet forming "rock garden" type plants such as low growing types of sedum and dianthus, moss phlox (Phlox subulata), creeping thyme, and Cerastium tomentosum. These low maintenance plants all bloom prettily, are drought tolerant and take full sun. Another option might be to use a vine such as the native Virginia creeper as a groundcover on the slope. This is a large vine and will cover a large area after several years. No matter what you plant, you will need to mulch, weed and water the first year or so until they become established.