The Q&A Archives: sod

Question: I have sod that is doing alright, but it is really bumpy. the people that laid it did not smooth out my yard when they laid it. i got 64 rolls of sod. how can i get it smoothed back out? do i need to just add alot of sand in the low spots or can i get it soaked and get a roller and try to smooth it out that way.

Answer: Aaron,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

I would start with watering and rolling the turf. Don't overwater or you'll just make a mess. If this doesn't work I would then try shoveling small amounts (about 1/2") of soil over the sod in the low areas. Turn a soil rake upside down and use it like a shuffleboard stick to spread the soil smoothly over the low areas. If this is still not enough to make it level then add more soil in a few months after it has had a chance to grow in well.