The Q&A Archives: Growing in landscape islands.

Question: I would like to grow in a landscape island in my front yard. I have Bermuda grass. What are some good ways to encourage the Bermuda to spread quickly into the bare area.
I know watering it is necessary. Someone told me to till it and ad lots of sand and starter fertilizer. Would that be recommended? Or would that just make a mess?

Answer: Dan,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Bermuda is more that willing to fill in a bare area. I suggest using the same type of soil as is in your yard if any filling in is needed. Then cut some 4-6" plugs from your lawn and place them about 2 feet apart in the area. Then water them in well to get them established. Fertilize with a lawn fertilizer monthly for this summer at a rate of 2 cups per 100 square feet. Mow the area as often as you can and water enough to keep it moist (about 1-2 times per week). It should fill in fast!