The Q&A Archives: Shrubs

Question: I have a house with Powder blue siding and white brick I was wondering what colors should I plant to enhance good curb appeal. The front of the house faces South. I would like some bushes close to the house and plant stuff with a fragrent smell.

Answer: I would go with either shades of pink or bright yellows. Both will contrast nicely with the blue siding. How about planting Red Prince Weigela? it's a compact, mounding shrub displays nonfading rich red flowers featured against dark green leaves. Useful in a background planting, flowering screen or in shrub borders. Deciduous. Full sun. Moderate grower to 5 to 6 feet tall and wide.

Pink Dawn Viburnum is another good choice. It creates a wonderful show year-round! Fragrant pink blossoms brighten spring, rich green foliage in summer, beautiful scarlet foliage color and blue fruit in fall! Excellent ornamental accent. Deciduous shrub. Full sun. Moderate grower to 8 to 10 feet tall, 6 to 8 feet wide.

Petite Plum Dwarf Butterfly bush. Spectacular shrub with fragrant, dense clusters of cone-shaped reddish-purple blooms. Butterflies love them! Use as colorful landscape accents or to provide screening in warm season. Smaller foliage than B. davidii types. Deciduous. Full to partial sun. Compact to 5 feet tall and wide.

Lilac Time Scotch Broom: Abundant sprays of fragrant deep reddish-purple blooms cover slender green stems. Tiny leaves are inconspicuous. Dense clumps make interesting hedge, divider or screen. Semi-evergreen. Full sun. Moderate grower to 6 feet tall and wide.

There are so many other choices! Why not visit your local garden center to get even more ideas?

Best wishes with your new landscape!